After you have scheduled the tasks necessary to achieve your goals you need to follow through and actually do each task that you have scheduled for yourself. One of the most important attributes of a successful person is their ability to persevere and perform the tasks necessary to reach their goals.
Quite often, it is in the follow through that we find our initial ambition start to decline. Here are some pointers to help you keep going:
- Review your goals regularly. This will help you keep the end in mind and remind you why you are doing all this work. As Steven Covey says in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: “begin with the end in mind”.
- Always strive to keep your commitments to yourself. As you develop the discipline to do what you have planned you will get better at following through on the commitments you have made to yourself.
- Sometimes you need to push yourself, but don’t burn yourself out. If you push yourself too hard you can become discouraged and stop working all together. Even if this does happen, that is ok. Take a break and return to your plans — perhaps adjusting them to be less intense.
- Don’t forget to reward yourself
- If you are having problems getting started make sure the goal is defined enough and the tasks are well defined
- Small steps do add up. Even committing to at least 15 minutes a day towards your goal can get you where you want to be.
- Even if you don’t feel like working, sometimes just agreeing to start will inspire you to work more.
Related PagesRecord Your Goals
Prioritize Your Goals
Break Large Goals into Sub-Goals
Create a Timeline for your Goal
Breaking a Sub-goal into Tasks